Saturday, March 24, 2007


Bernie helps us keep our priorities straight.

We're back in North Miami after an abortive staging for a weather window to the Bahamas from Fort Liquordale which fell apart very quickly. There's one more small chance for a crossing near the end of this week when our self-imposed deadline runs out. If we don't get across, we'll start back north at a very leisurely pace, including a stop to visit grandson Mikey (we get to watch him at his daycare center through a webcam when we have a good connection). We also plan to stop at some of our favorite spots on the way north and run up the Potomac for the first time to see the sights and some family and friends.

In the meantime, we are anchored off Oleta State Park and Florida International University with a nice beach, cold showers, and easy dinghy access to all kinds of civilization. We've had a few early evening get-togethers with other trawlers in the harbor and made a number of new friends along the way. Every day (particularly on the weekends) we are invaded by a cascade of plastic kayaks from the rental place up the creek from us. With the strong northerlies we've been having, we wonder whether or not the rental company does an inventory at the end of the day to see how many kayaks (and people) are missing!

We may head back south to No Name Harbor and/or Miami Beach just for a change of scenery before we decide whether we're heading east or north. If the Bahamas don't work out this year, we'll aim for them earlier next year.
We named these guys Simon and Max, after our grandsons. Can you guess which is which?

For comments or questions, write us at:

No comments: