Saturday, September 26, 2009

Old Saybrook, CT to New York City

We departed the Connecticut River around 8:00 AM on September 22, bound for waters to the west and south. Our original intention was to meet Jon and Annie and their new Grand Banks trawler in Port Jefferson along the way, but Jon called on the cell phone to invite us to stay at a private dock near his house in Huntington where he would take us on the grand tour and feed us dinner as well. 'Twas an offer too good to be refused, so we came in past the Huntington Light House,
and pulled into the dock with Jon acting as an able dockhand. It was a fortuitous stop because we had blown off a freshwater hose on the way and had dumped all 80 gallons of fresh water into the bilge.
We filled the tanks and left the boat to dry out. Jon and Annie took us on the grand tour of both Huntington and the Lady Ann.
And treated us to a nice restaurant dinner and some homemade cake back at the house.
The next morning we left bright and early for a trip through New York City only to discover that the entire East River was closed until 3:00 PM to protect the United Nations from terrorists like us while a bunch of high mucky mucks were there.
So we went through the Throgs Neck Bridge and dropped the hook along the shore in the middle of nowhere to read and have a leisurely lunch before venturing further.
We were still a little early getting through Hell Gate and the Coast Guard dutifully kept us and a few other potential terrrorists from going any further until it was safe.
We were finally allowed through, on the other side of Roosevelt Island, and things were back to normal. Tour boats were touring, sludge boats were sludging, and the river was its normal busy and lumpy place.
We were bound for the anchorage at Liberty Park, behind the Statue of Liberty. We gave way to a Staten Island ferry along the way.
And waved at Judy's cousins who live in a condo in Jersey City as we went by.
A couple of gaff-riggers were out for a sail.
We left Lady Liberty to starboard and headed into the Jersey shore to the anchorage.
There is an attractive modern building complex at the head of the harbor which we had seen under construction two years before. We have no idea what it is.
The next morning we slithered out through the mist past Liberty bound for New Jersey.

No comments: