Wednesday, June 06, 2007


We got to Chesapeake City on an incoming tide, helped by a fairly strong southerly wind and an almost full moon (creating much higher than normal tide). We backed rather nicely into one of the free town slips and walked up to The Tap Room, a very friendly local bar, for beer and our last batch of crabs for this trip. When we got back, it was time for naps. Waking up, we were both a bit disoriented (more than the beer would warrant) and swore that there was a pronounced downhill tilt from the stern to the bow. We were hard aground on a hump of hard sand about one-third of the way from stern of the boat. A few hours later, it was getting rather exciting (we tied the boat off so that it would fall toward the floating dock and not the tall pilings and bulkhead on the other side) and we considered asking the outdoor bar for a percentage of their take since we had become the entertainment for the evening! At 1:00 AM (11 hours after our arrival and less than one-hour before high tide) we powered off the bottom and sneaked out to the anchorage as quietly as we could. No evident damage except to the captain's pride. The Admiral was covered because she probably asked if we had enough water (but she asks that when we anchor in 40 feet of water!). [NOTE: Is it pure coincidence that an American Tug we travelled north with two years ago just came into the anchorage? Her name is "OOOPS".]

We went through Kent Island Narrows on the way north after figuring out that our "engine alternator problem" was caused by the ignition switch not returning to its "default" position after the engine is started. But we had hauled and had a spanking new bottom paint job, new zincs, and unstained topsides. (The yard had a miracle wipe-on hose-off product which instantly removed the brown stains from the ICW cypress swamps.)

The Chesapeake Bay workboats are some of the most beautiful and efficient powerboats anywhere. We haven't yet seen a cruising version which didn't screw up the lines.

Above is what appeared to be a miltary tank which was being tested in the Bay as we went north. At first, we could only see the spray all around it. (The helmsman must navigate electronically since it would be virtually impossible to see through the spray even in fairly calm water.) I'd guess that she was doing 15-20 knots.

Another day in Chesapeake City because of fairly strong winds against opposing current in Delaware Bay, then on to the New Jersey coast and home.

Remember, if you tell anyone about our grounding, we will have to kill you!

No comments: